Methamphetamine Sampling and Decontamination
Are you renting a contaminated home??? Are you about to buy a contaminated home???
Although Methamphetamine can be produced or cooked in many different locations there are certain warning signs that may indicate a drug house.
Making or cooking methamphetamine requires minimal training and experience and limited amounts of equipment and chemicals, both of which are relatively inexpensive. Meth Labs can be found in almost any location, from houses, apartments, cars, rental storage units and motorhomes. There are many external recognition clues alluding to a meth lab. Some of the common warning signs of a suspected meth lab include:
- Strong odours (acrid, sour, ammonia, solvents, pungent)
- Windows covered with foils or plastics
- Renters who pay landlord cash
- Excessive trash and rubbish
- Unusual structures
- Increased activity, especially at night
- Discolouration of structures, soil and pavement or driveway
- Increased security systems or other devices
Though there are tell-tale signs of a meth lab previously being used in a home, unit, hotel, car, abandoned building or motor home, sometimes you can’t tell for sure until it’s too late. However, there are resources and techniques you can use to investigate the potential meth lab.
Did you ever see any of the following equipment at the property?
- Propane tanks
- Scuba tanks
- Camping stoves
- Chemical bottles
- Fire extinguishes
- Soda dispenses
- Security Cameras
Did you ever see any of the follow trash and rubbish at the property?
- Rags with red or yellow stains
- Rubber hoses
- Coffee filters with red stains
- Chemical bottles
- Excessive rubbish
Did you ever smell any of the following strong or unusual odours?
- Rotten eggs
- Pungent, acrid or sour
Did you ever see any of the following external conditions at the property?
- Blocked windows
- Burned glass
- Rigged vents
- Windows covered with aluminium foil or plastic
- Discolouration of structures, pavement, soil or driveway
- Security Cameras
Have you ever experienced any of the following symptoms when in the property or after leaving?
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
- Itchy eyes
- Itchy throat
The following, often in combination, may indicate the presence of a methamphetamine laboratory:
- Unusual odours including ether, ammonia, acetone, or other chemicals
- Frequent visitors, particularly at unusual times
- Extensive security measures or attempts to ensure privacy
- Secretive or unfriendly occupants
- Excessive amounts of trash, particularly chemical containers, coffee filters or pieces of cloth that are stained red, and duct tape rolls
- Curtains always drawn or windows covered with aluminum foil or blackened on residences, garages, sheds, or other structures
- Evidence of chemical waste or dumping
If you suspect that someone in your neighbourhood is operating a methamphetamine laboratory, report your concerns to the local police department immediately. For your own safety, do not investigate the suspected laboratory or confront the occupants. In addition to the hazards discussed above, many laboratories are equipped with security devices or booby traps that could cause serious injuries or death. Call the Police and call R & A Property Services Pty Ltd who are fully trained and equipped to handle these situations.
Please see below some of these items to look for in general house inspections, warrants, evictions & abandonment homes, R & A Property Services Pty ltd come across these items on a regular basis. If these items are found in homes we are currently at, staff will instantly stop all works until a rapid test is completed. R & A property services will contact the appropriate managing team to advise and get permission to complete these tests onsite. If a positive result is returned, further sampling will be required to be sent into our labs. With a 7 day turnaround of results detecting how much substance is in these homes within a 10cm2 of area, legal living limit is 0.05mgm anything above these results will require R & A Property Services pty ltd to complete a full decontamination clean throughout the home/areas that are affected.
Another great way to tell if the home has been affected is strong (and we mean strong chemical) smell will be present, sometimes a bad odor can occur. If by chance you think you may be entering a contaminated home please feel free to contact R & A Property Services Pty Ltd for a full guide to help you. We are fully Certified to complete testing and decontamination. MTK – 769- AUS fully covered under professional indemnity and public liability, work cover.